ISCP Business Meeting 2011 Report
The business meeting of ISCP at the 17th ISCP Conference took place at 17.00-18.00pm, July 8, 2011, at the Amphitheatre François Furet, Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales, Paris. Called to order and chaired by Prof. Vincent Shen, ISCP Executive Director, the meeting proceeded first with the ceremony of appreciation, then reports from the executive director, secretary and the treasurer respectively, then moves in regard to the nomination of new ISCP President and Vice President, before the Announcement of the 18th ISCP Conference and Recommendation for the 19th Conference and ended with the transmission of ISCP Flag.
I. Ceremony of Appreciation
The meetings started with the ceremony of appreciation to Professor Yolaine Escande, ISCP President and chief organizer of the Conference. After Professor Vincent Shen’s speech of appreciation, a plaque inscribed “In Appreciation to the Dedicated Service and Excellent Leadership” was offered to Prof. Yolaine Escande.
In his speech of appreciation, Vincent Shen mentioned that the conference was so well organized, not only in respect to the wonderful program with great keynote speakers and well-arranged and logically structured sessions and presentations, but also because of the delicious lunches and dinners, and the aesthetics values of the posters, the program handbook and the conference environment. Vincent Shen said that the program handbook of this year was the most beautiful of all conferences organized by ISCP till now.
In response to the appreciation, President Yolaine Escande thanked also everybody involved in the organization, including the blind review committee members, and the members of her team, in particular Thierry and Olivier, who not only helped the organization but also designed the website, the handbook and their students’ design posters with the conference theme.
II. Report from ISCP Executive Director
After the ceremony of appreciation, Prof. Vincent Shen proceeded to his report. Since the last business meeting in 2009 atFujenUniversity,Taipei, ISCP had organized regular panels in the annual conferences of APA Eastern, Pacific and Central, andAARannual conference with cutting edge themes in Chinese philosophy and comparative philosophy. These panels were organized every year and open to all our members for participation and presentation. Call for papers were to be sent on time and he invited the active participation of all members. Besides, ISCP organized also small scale international conference with more specific theme in view of publication since 2010. Last year, withWuhanUniversity, ISCP organized the International Conference on the Development of Chinese Philosophy in Recent 30 Years. For next year, ISCP was making plan with Prof. Dong Ping, Chair of the Department of Philosophy,ZhejiangUniversity, to organize a Conference on the Communication between Chinese and Western Philosophy in his university.
Also, Prof. Shen reported new appointment: in the past two years, ISCP appointed Prof. Xiaomei Yang as ISCP liasion for APA Eastern meeting, Prof. Huaiyu Wang as liaison for APA Central, and Prof. Oncho Ng as ISCP liaison to the Journal of Chinese Philosophy.
At the end of his report, Prof. Shen said that it had been a great pleasure for him to serve two terms Executive Director of ISCP. He requested to step down at the end of his first term at the business meeting of the 15th ICCP at Wuhan University, but was asked to serve another term. Since his 2nd term would terminate at the end of 2011, he decided to step down at that time. He thanked Prof. Chenyang Li and Prof. Xinyan Jiang, and Vice-Executive Directors Chen Lai, Guo Qiyong, and Jiang Xinyan, for their generous assistance to the end of his 2 terms. Also he thanked all ISCP members for their support in these ten years of his service. According to ISCP Constitution, the new Executive Director shall be appointed by the Chair of the Board of Officers of the ISCP.
II. ISCP Secretary Report
Since Prof. Chenyang Li, ISCP Secretary, was unable to make it to come, he asked Prof. Xinyan Jian to read his report:
During the last two years, this secretary has assisted ISCP in the following operations of the organization.
1. Election of the president and vice present. Nominations were proposed at the 16th International Conference on Chinese Philosophy at the Fujen Catholic University in Taipei, July 2009, were made by an official ISCP Ad Hoc Committee for 2009 election composed of Prof. Ivanhoe, Prof. Johanna Liu and Prof. Hsiao-hui Pan. A formal election took place in December 2009. Professor Yolaine Escande, of French National Scientific Research Centre (CNRS) and Graduate School of Advanced Studies in Social Sciences(EHESS), has been elected unanimously as the new ISCP President, and Prof. Jiyuan Yu, of New York State University at Buffalo, as the new ISCP Vice-President, both for a term of two years beginning from January 1, 2010 to December 31, 2011.
2. ISCP website migration to new host. Our former host moved on to another business and had to let us move the website. Now the ISCP official website has moved to a new host. Our website URL address remains as http://www.iscp-online.org/ . It is in operation. We are looking for a web master to manage the site.
3. Responded to route inquiries from individuals and organizations. Liaisoned with other professional organizations (FISP, etc.). Handled route office work (preparing plaques for outgoing officers, sending out condolences letters, etc.).
4. Provided assistance to the International Conference on “International Symposium on Chinese Philosophy in Recent 30 Years” at Wuhan University, China, June 2010. The conference was co-sponsored with the Society of History of Chinese Philosophy and with WuhanUniversity. The conference was a success. For more information of the conference, see the New Report in Journal of Chinese Philosophy (38.1), March 2011.
5. Organized the 2011 Charles Fu Foundation Essay Contest in Asian Philosophy (composed a blind reviewing committee that selected 3 awardees from 22 entries).
6. Provided assistance to organizing the 17th International Conference on Chinese Philosophy inParis, July 2011.
7. Successfully selected an able candidate to step in the role of ISCP secretary as he, the current secretary completes his 10 years of service. Professor Yang Xiaomei has been serving as our liaison to the APA Eastern Division and has kindly agreed to be a candidate for our next secretary. Her CV is attached.
Finally, the secretary takes this opportunity to express his sincere thanks to his colleagues Vincent Shen and Xinyan Jiang for their selfless assistance, understanding, and friendship. It has been a great pleasure working with both of them as ISCP officers.
ISCP Treasurer Report
After she had read loudly ISCP secretary’s report, Prof. Xinyan Jiang, ISCP treasurer, proceeded to report to ISCP members the Annual Financial Statement 2010 of the Society, divided into the income part and the expenses part (report available upon request).
In addition, she said that she would not continue to serve as Treasurer after her current term ends. She said that it had been a great privilege to serve as ISCP Treasurer for 10 years. She thanked ISCP members’ support for all these years. She gave special thanks to Prof. Vincent Shen, Prof. Chenyang Li, and Prof. Yolaine Escande for making her work for ISCP such a pleasant experience.
The meeting had two motions this year. First, the move in regard to the nomination of a new ISCP President. Prof. Jiyuan Yu was nominated with unanimity as the candidate for ISCP new President starting from January 2012.
The second motion in regard to the nomination of the new ISCP Vice President, Prof. Kwong-loi Shun was nominated unanimously as the candidate for ISCP new Vice-President starting from January 2012. According to ISCP Constitution, these two nominations should go through the general election process starting at the end of November, 2011
7. Announcement of the 18th ISCP Conference and Recommendation for
the 19th Conference:
At the end of the meeting, Prof. Vincent Shen announced that the 18th ISCP International Conference will take place at the Universityof Buffalounder the direction and organization of Prof. Jiyuan Yu, and it was also recommended that the 19th ISCP Conference take place in theChineseUniversity ofHong Kong. At the end of the meeting, the ISCP flag was transmitted from the hand of Prof. Yolaine Escande to Prof. Jiyuan Yu.